- Engine Bay
- Trunk Area
- Chassis # 627989
- Engine # Z2869
- Desirable 3.5 Litre Variant
- Well Documented Service History Dating Back to 1959
- Finished In Understated and Elegant Colors
- Mechanically Sorted and Ready for Enjoyment
The Jaguar Mark V was introduced in September 1948 and launched a month later at the London Motor Show alongside the XK120. While the XK120 got the new overhead-camshaft engine the Mark 5 retained the straight-6 2.5 Liter and 3.5 Liter engines. These engines were rated at 104 HP for the 2.5 liters and 126 hp for the more popular 3.5 liters. The styling of the car followed pre-war design language producing a beautiful swopping design made of all pressed steel, that while slightly outdated at the time but remains classic and beautiful. The chassis was equipped with independent front suspension as well as hydraulic brakes, both of which were new and exciting features at the time. The Mark V would enjoy a 3-year production run, terminating in 1951 with the introduction of the Mark VII. In total there were roughly 10,499 Mark Vs produced with the bulk of those being the Saloon model. There was a drop head coupe available, as well as a few bare chassis offered to coachbuilders, but both of these are far fewer than the traditional saloon style.
This particular 1951 Jaguar Mark V saloon, chassis number 627989, is powered by the popular 3.5 liter inline-6 cylinder engine. The car comes with detailed service and records dating all the way back to 1959. According to the included Heritage Certificate, this Mark V was built on May 3, 1950, and delivered to Hoffman Motors in New York. It was originally finished in Lavender Grey with a Suede Green interior. While records for the first few years of the cars life appear to be absent, included records begin in 1959 at which time the car was owned by a Mr. Charles Lewis of Essington, Pennsylvania. Mr. Lewis kept very detailed records of his ownership and even has copies of his communications with Jaguar Cars of North America, expressing his displeasure at the difficulty in getting replacement parts for the car. The next records indicate the car was owned by a Mr. Herbert Watkins of Geigertown, Pennsylvania in the early 1960’s. It appears the car was then sold to a Mr. JJ Connor of Atco, New Jersey in approximately 1974. It should be noted that there is correspondence for 1974 between Mr. Connor and a Block Repair facility in Tulsa, Oklahoma which reference there being a crack in the block of the car. It also appears that the current engine block fitted to the car is Z2869, rather than T9709 which is indicated on the data tag and heritage certificate. From the included records it appears that during the early 1990’s Mr. Connor took the restoration and refreshing of this Mark V upon himself and there are some included photos of the car during this time. The car was under his name until 2000 when Mr. Connor, unfortunately, passed away leaving the car to his nieces. The car sat, largely unused until 2008 when a Mr. Leroy Shiftlet who is located in Lyndhurst, Virginia purchased it from Mr. Connors niece. Under Mr. Shiftlets ownership, the car was brought into a properly drivable state after having sat. Records indicate sorting of the charging system, the fuel system, braking system sorting, adjusting of the suspension, cleaning and tuning the carburetors and many other things, all in a thorough attempt to bring the car back to a roadworthy condition after its brief period of sitting. It was then purchased by the current owner in early 2016 who put new radial tires on the car as well as airbag assist and drove the car sparingly in good weather. The service records included with this car are thorough and encompass most of the car’s ownership and the car truly comes across as well taken care of today. It is ready to be driven, shown, or even to take upon light touring duty.
Included with the car are extensive service documentation, factory books, and the fold out tool kit located in the trunk.